Thursday, February 1, 2018

Week 3 Story: The Great and Powerfull Ravana

    (Revising story at BDOUSTORYBOOK for story book project. Any ideas how to make longer would be much appreciated)

   Ok she's all alone, knows my chance. Rama actually went after that stupid golden deer and his foolish brother even went to help him. I'll just dress up as a forest sage to get close, then I will throw some complements her way to butter her up, then I will give her the big reveal. Alright, here goes nothing.
 
  "Hello, fair and beautiful lady, you must surely be a goddess for your beauty has no equal. With your long hair, lips red as berries, and that body, why are you alone in the forest? Where is your palace for surely you are married to a king or a God?"
      
"I am waiting for my husband Rama the powerful warrior to return, you are welcome to rest here", She tells me. Already bringing up her husband so that's not good, but surely she was impressed by how beautiful I told her she is. She will surely be overtaken when she knows who I am and what I can offer her.

"Behold, for I am no ordinary Sage, I am Ravana. I am the king of Lanka, I rule over the Rakshasas. Even the gods stand in fear and awe of my power. A women as beautiful as you deserves to be by the side of such. Come and be my wife and you shall share in all of my power and fame. My great empire will be yours, you will be waited on by legion, anything you wish simply ask and it will be so"

       I offer her the world and she dares reject me. She says I am nothing compared the her husband. The great and virtuous Rama. That I Ravana, dread of the Gods cannot even compete with him That I am a jackal trying to take a lioness from a lion. She tells me I might as well try to rip a mountain up by its roots than wed her.

        "You must not be aware of my power and glory. I could kill death itself if it suited me. I say it be and I will blacken the Sun from the sky and rend the Earth apart with my great arrows"

         After all that how can she still not be impressed? Well I guess the only thing to do now is to turn into a giant ten headed demon and kidnap her.

Authors Note: I retold the story of Ravana and Sita- Ch 35 in the Ramayana. In this story after being left alone Sita is approached by a powerful Rakshasa named Ravana. He hopes to steal her away from Rama and when that doesn't work he literally steals her away in his sky chariot. I told the story from Ravana's point of view. Switching back and forth from his inner thoughts and dialogue. I stuck to the original progression structure of the story and dialogue. I also tried to keep some of Ravana and Sita's ,most important argument points in the story. I took a lot of creative liberties with the rest of the dialogue and the inner thoughts of Ravana.

The Great Ravana


Donald A. Mackenzie, Indian Myth and Legend -Chaper 35 Ravana and Sita

3 comments:

  1. Hey there, Bailey!
    I thought that you had a really creative story. I enjoyed the dialogue that you included with the different characters. I find that to be difficult to do at times. However, I thought you incorporated it really well. I look forward to reading more of your stories as the class progresses. I am sure you will continue to do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I really like your story. I find it so relatable and interesting that you added in the characters internal thoughts into this retelling. It really help to engage the reader in the story. Also, the last line made me laugh! Humor bring so much to stories, I love that you used that statement. Thanks for sharing with us!
    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Bailey, dang this story was funny man it was really creative because usually you write this kind of story with more serious thought but the way wrote blew my mind. I like how Ravana think, “Rama actually went after that stupid golden deer and his foolish brother even went to help him”. This story has like a comedic undertone to it and really like it. it was unique

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: PART A: Gaia's Secret 1-2

For this weeks reading I did another video series. This week was the Seven Secrets of the Goddesses, Epified series. This first week focused...