Thursday, March 1, 2018

Week 7 story Planning: The Last Boy Scout


Something I would most like to write a story about is chapter 50. Riddles at the Lake. The mail character in this story is Yudhisthira. He was a very capable spear hunter and a man of character.  The first thing I thought of when reading about his background was a boy scout. I think it would be fun to tell a story about a group of dorky boy scouts. Yudhisthira will be the greatest of the boy scouts. They go off on an epic quest to gain their survival badge by camping in the nearby park. They pack all of their survival gear and rope tying equipment. Unfortunately, despite all their training they do not bring enough water. Desperate to not die in the park their search will bring them to the magic pond. My favorite part of the original is how they each drink and then die. I would like to expand on how ridiculous it would be for the third to walk up, see two of his buddies die from drinking from the talking pond, and then drink from the pond anyway. I could show what the third scout is thinking or even what the pond is. Finally Yudhisthira listens to the pond and does not immediately drink.  Another big part of the story is the many riddles that the hero must answer. I could make them anything I want like survival skills or pop culture references. In the original Yudhisthira is able to answer them all and gets two wishes. Using his two wishes the scout will be able to bring his friends back and even get his survival badge. I think this will be a really fun direction to take the story. Following this format will leave a lot of room for expansion into a great story. 

The Haunted pond




The Mahabharata, A Summary by John Mandeville Macfie (1921). Mahabharata

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reading Notes: PART A: Gaia's Secret 1-2

For this weeks reading I did another video series. This week was the Seven Secrets of the Goddesses, Epified series. This first week focused...