Friday, March 16, 2018

Week 9 Story: The Last Boy Scout

The scouts all gathered friday evening. They all bought ther survival gear and everything else they would need on their camping trip. Tents, rope, matches, trailmix, it was all there and they were eager to step off into the wilderness. "Today we will finally earn our survival badge, and with that I will have all the badges a scout could earn," the leader of the group Yudhisthira declared. The other three scouts all nodded in exited agreement.

          They arrived at the park shortly before sundown and quickly began to set up camp. Arjuna was eager to show off his knot tying skills and created a haphazard shelter of ropes and canvas. Sahadeva attempted to start a fire with his new flint rock, before conceding to use his lighter. The boys told a few ghost stories and quickly fell fast asleep

     They woke to the morning sun already beating down upon them. Thirsty, the boys began to look around for their water. " Hey who has an extra water bottle, I forgot mine, " Nakula said. "I forgot mine too," replied Arjuna. Quickly the boys all realized they were in trouble and they would have to figure out how to survive if they ever hoped to earn their survival badges. Yudhisthira attempted to contain the panic but even he was starting to become worried. "I think there is a pond nearby, why dont you check it out Nakula," he said.

     Nakula ran off and quickly reached the pond. When he reached the shore suddenly the pond spoke to him and said "before you may drink, riddle me this". Nakula was to thirsty to be bothered by a talking pond and quickly drank anyway. Almost  immediately, he fell over dead.

      Worried Shadeva decided to go investigate. He too reached the pond and saw his friend lying dead. He too heard the voice of the riddling pond, but was so thirsty he decided to drink anyway. He too fell over dead almost immediately.

      Next Arjuna grew impatient and went off over to the pond. He saw his two friends lying dead and then the pond spoke to him. Arjuna would not be taunted by a talking pond, and with a mighty "Come at me bra," began to throw rocks at the pond. When this did nothing he too decided to go ahead and drink from the pond anyway. Unsurprisingly he too fell over dead.

      Alone Yudhisthira decided to investigate the pond as well. When he saw his friends dead he bagan to cry. Suddenly the pond spoke to Yudhisthira as well, "Riddle me this, scout," the pond declared. "I will answer your riddles magic pond, but first tell me what happened to my friends," Yudhisthira replied.  The pond was silent for a moment and then said "Your friends died from drinking dirty water from a stagnant pond, look at me, this water is full of all kinds of bacteria. Now for your first riddle; What three things are needed for a fire?"

Yudhisthira remembered his scout training and confidently declared "Heat, oxygen, and fuel."

Immediately the voice said "If you do not have any water, what should you drink?

For this question Yudhisthira had to dig deep. He thought about all the Man V Wild with Bear Grylls he had watched. Again he confidently replied "You drink your own pee"

The pond then spoke again "What should you do with pond water before you drink it?"

"You should always boil it," Yudhisthira replied.

Suddenly the pond transformed into William Dickson Boyce, the founder of the boy scouts."You have passed my test wise scout, You may have two wishes," Said Boyce.

"I wish my friends were alive and I wish we could all get our survival badge, exclaimed Yudhisthira.

Suddenly all three boys arose and the four of them happily left the forest, shiny new badges in hand.

The Great scout Yudhisthira and all his badges.
Yudhisthira Image
Scout Image





Authors Note. I told the story of Yudhisthira from Chapter 50 of the Mahabharata reading: Riddles at the Lake. The story is about five warriors who encounter the God of wisdom disguised as a pond. Yudhisthia is able to answer his difficult riddles and save his friends. I was pretty pleased with how the story turned out. I think telling the story as boy scouts worked perfectly and fit the theme of the original story. The story turned out a lot longer than most of mine, but I like the details I was able to include, such as their complete lack of survival skills, and the absurdity of multiple men drinking form the same pond that just killed their friend.


The Mahabharata, A Summary by John Mandeville Macfie (1921). Mahabharata


3 comments:

  1. Haha, this was a cute little story and I loved that you edited the picture. I got a little chuckle. I loved reading this story. You did a great job. The only mistake I saw was "The other three scouts all nodded in exited agreement" you probably meant excited. Good job Bailey and can't wait to read more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story was nice! I especially love the picture you made at the end of your story. Hilarious! Your author's note was quite helpful too. I can see where you made changes and where you kept stuff close to the original. I love it when people change the story to fit some modern narrative, such as the boy scouts with yours. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bailey! I like they way you took this story and completely reworked it! I love how you addressed the craziness of drinking from a pond that obviously just killed your brother in a creative way. The scouts also mirrored how the Pandavas sometimes seem to skate by and survive on luck and the good will of others. They seem throughout the Mahabharata to put themselves into needless danger like the scouts forgetting their necessary supplies.

    ReplyDelete

Reading Notes: PART A: Gaia's Secret 1-2

For this weeks reading I did another video series. This week was the Seven Secrets of the Goddesses, Epified series. This first week focused...